Charles Barkley is reportedly contemplating leaving TNT gig

0 Flares 0 Flares ×

Inside the NBA on TNT pregame show is the king of pregame shows. You can try and dispute that, but there’s really no reason to do so. And a big reason why it’s the king of pregame shows is because of Charles Barkley.

Barkley has flourished in his role for the five-time Emmy award winning show and has become one of the biggest stars in sports broadcasting. But according to Richard Deitsch of Sports Illustrated, Barkley has become increasingly disengaged with his gig at TNT and he’s contemplating walking away from it.

“I love my job,” Barkley said. “I love the people I work with. And I’m going to try to do things to keep me engaged. But I have four years left on my current deal and to be honest with you, it’s going to be a struggle for me to make it for the whole four years. I really don’t know how much longer I’m going to do this. I need something more, or something else to do to be honest with you.”

“I only thought I would do this for three or four years but now I have been doing it for 13 years,” Barkley said. “When I got to my fifth year of broadcasting I was like ‘OK, I’ll do this a couple of more years.’ But now I’m like, ‘Dude, you have been doing this for 13 years and if I make it to the end of the contract it will be 17 years.’ Seventeen years is a long time. It’s a lifetime in broadcasting. I personally have to figure out the next challenge for me.”

That next challenge may be doing color for games, which Barkley got a taste of last season. And he enjoyed every minute of it.

When I did the game with Kevin and Reggie I had a blast,” Barkley said. “And judging by the feedback we got, I think the fans liked it too. I am excited to do that this year.”

Barkley is scheduled to do two more games this season and it sounds like in order for TNT to keep him, doing color for games may have to be a more frequent part of Barkley’s duties.

Comments

1. mozartjazz says:

Would be good to see Barkley go, he simply never is prepared with enough real detail. Strictly a hip shooter who is tolerated.

2. Hated Barkley when he played for the 76ers. I’m a big Celtic fan and he played on a team that was a huge rival of the Boston Celtics. Now I see the man, not the player and I love him!! He shines in his profession because he’s not a clone. So many former players/coaches enter the business and they’re a yawn to watch/listen to during a game. Charles is entertaining, honest and funny. He’s a natural so I hope TNT finds a way to hold onto him because it’ll be BORING without him.

• Jim Chhun says:

Jane,
      You are definitely right, I found nothing honest and funny without Charles. I am a player’s fan and I am still Charles’s fan forever. TNT needs to keep Charles on the team.

3. Jack Flood, Jr. says:

I’ll hold the door open for him!

4. Randy Hayes says:

somehow i think we’ll survive

5. Ricardo Jake says:

He is a complete idiot. I would love to see someone else on there who actually contributes intelligent assessment of the game of basketball. Barkley is a racist and a moron to boot.

6. samjonesjr says:

What Sir CHarles REALLY wants to do is… DIRECT!

7. Get him out of there nothing but a loud mouth.

8. Knee Gars Please,

Old Chuck needs to go black to Alabama and starts pickin cotton again.

9. Chuckles,

That boy be goods at selling KFC on da corner or watermelons from black of a pick up truck. He and Fred Stanford could run the junk yard downs theres in Harlem, and Watts.

Skkkoal Peoples and White Folks

10. slowrider says:

Chuck is being fired! He’s not quitting! Too many people have complained about his racist hatred, which this country doesn’t need. Maybe he will spend all his spare time helping OJ find the real killers.

11. Bobby Burns says:

Charles is funny, but he lacks real thoughtful insight. Steve Kerr or Reggie Miller are real pros. The D-League might have a job for him. Best of luck!

12. edward smith says:

I would love to see Barkley go..he’s so biased against certain teams its almost funny. Everytime I hear him speak I honestly think he is mentally retarded. Go try and be an actor, you moron.

13. glitterchickbaby says:

NO! NO! NO! Charles cannot leave! I absolutely love the TNT show. It’s some of the best comedy on tv. I look forward to Chuck,Kenny,and Ernie every game. How the hell are they going to play “Who he play for?” without Charles? And no Charles rants? (Lane Kiffin must have pix of somebody having sex with a monkey because there’s no other way for him to be getting jobs he doesn’t deserve-my all time fave rant) Please TNT do whatever it takes to keep him. Do not subject us to Shaq’s mumbling and unfunny comments. Don’t allow the fun to end.

14. Charles just speaks his mind,despite the fact he can’t count to 11 without removing a shoe or getting help.That game he tried in Vegas for 300k he owed and tried ripping Steve Wynn off !!! Not smart what can you expect.

15. Hurray!!!

16. I cant believe all this negativity aimed at my boy Sir Charles,hes awesome on tv and he would be fantastic as a color commentator for any network.I really hope he moves into that seat very soon.Sir Charles and Reggie play off one another perfectly. They would be the best commentating team in sports.Rock ON Chuck,to hell with the haters,

17. Have any of you people that are complaining about intellectual insight ever really watched the show? I mean seriously, most of the time all any of them do is clown, and every now and then you get something insightful. And, everyone on the show has a loud mouth, except for Ernie. I feel like a lot of you don’t like him because he calls your team out or your favorite players out. He tells the truth, you may not like the delivery, but it is what it is.

• slowrider says:

I don’t like him because he’s a racist. I won’t waste my time AND MONEY on any race hater, no matter what their skin color.