Week 12 proved to me that there are two teams really worth mentioning in the NFC, and that the AFC is still wide open no matter which way you look at it. The Saints and the Vikings should have it all locked up pertaining to the two 1st round byes and I would be surprised if any other teams were to meet in the NFC Championship game. Could we have two teams going for perfection? I doubt it, but with the way the Colts and Saints have been playing, it wouldn’t be a surprise. The rankings have been shook up a lot this week and here they are.
1. New Orleans Saints (11-0) – New Orleans dominated the Pats and that’s not something you hear often. The Vikings had better take notice.
2. Indianapolis Colts (11-0) – Gosh! These guys just can’t seem to lose. I can’t take anything away from them now.
3. Minnesota Vikings (10-1) – In my mind they are still the best team in the league. No team has all the pieces that this team has.
4. Cincinnati Bengals (8-3) – Sweeping the AFC North is no easy task. Along with the Broncos, this team has been one of the biggest surprises of the season.
5. San Diego Chargers (8-3) – Another dominating performance from the Chargers. Looks like the AFC West will be going down to the wire again this year.
6. New England Patriots (7-4) – They were crushed by the Saints. This team’s defense will need another major overhaul this offseason.
7. Dallas Cowboys (8-3) – The Cowboys go into a tough stretch of games through the next three weeks which could determine whether they are NFC East champs, or simply a wild card team.
8. Green Bay Packers (7-4) – Another win, as they continue to push for a wildcard berth.
9. Philadelphia Eagles (7-4) – The Eagles barely got by, but the Redskins are proving to be a tough team to beat.
10. Denver Broncos (7-4) – Nice win to stop the four game slide. Two tough games coming up against Indy and Philly that could determine their playoff fate.
12. Baltimore Ravens (6-5) – The Ravens got a big win against their divisional rival. Unfortunately, they will probably have to win out to make the playoffs.
13. Pittsburgh Steelers (6-5) – The loss Sunday night sure hurt the Steelers’ chances of repeating.
14. Atlanta Falcons (6-5) – The Falcons are hanging on by a thread. A win is a win against the Bucs.
15. New York Giants (6-5) – It doesn’t look good for the Giants.
16. Tennessee Titans (5-6) – If their record was maybe 8-3, CJ would be hands down MVP.
17. Houston Texans (5-6) – These guys can never find a way to beat the Colts.
18. San Francisco 49ers (5-6) – No playoffs, but they are having a good season.
19. Jacksonville Jaguars (6-5) – Just like I predicted, they can’t be good teams.
20. New York Jets (5-6) – They slowed down a team that seemed to be on a roll. Maybe they can do that on a more consistent basis next year.
21. Carolina Panthers (4-7) – So the season is officially over. I wonder if this team will look the same next year.
22. Miami Dolphins (5-6) – A loss to the Bills should hurt the morale of this team. It’s the Bills for crying out loud…ha.
23. Buffalo Bills (4-7) – Does anyone really notice the Bills this season? Apparently the NFL Network does with their games this week
Shout outs to all the teams ranked 24-32 as they start to prepare their draft boards because their season has been over since October.
24. Chicago Bears
25. Seattle Seahawks
26. Washington Redskins
27. Kansas City Chiefs
28. Oakland Raiders
29. Detroit Lions
30. St. Louis Rams
31. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
32. Cleveland Browns