Keezy W. will be handling this season’s NFL power rankings here at No Guts. For some reason he’s a Denver Broncos fan so any jokes about the Broncos or complaints about these rankings should be done in the comments.
Another great weekend of NFL action is done and some teams are already making statements that they are for real. While others are already looking at their draft boards for ways to improve for next season. Here are the rankings….
1A. New York Giants (3-0) – So far Eli and the gang look like they have no problem getting into the end zone without ol Cheddar Bob. Steve Smith and Mario Manningham are playing great in this early part of the season.
1B. Detroit Lions (1-2) – Yes, when a team finally breaks a 19 game losing streak, they should celebrate like they have just won the Super Bowl. And they deserve their 15 seconds of fame from someone. So congrats to the Lions on their first and only time being in the top 10 this season.
2. Baltimore Ravens (3-0) – The Ravens seem to finally have an explosive offense to go along with the always dominant D.
3. Minnesota Vikings (3-0) – For everyone who questioned why the Vikings put up with the dramatics of Brett Favre during the off-season, I think you have your answer.
4. New Orleans Saints (3-0) – Kudos to the Saints defense for holding T.O. without a catch. Drew Brees is definitely poised to break Tom Brady’s record for touchdown passes in a season set two years ago.
5. New York Jets (3-0) – I’m still not sold on the Jets as of right now, but a win against the Saints next week could go a long way in making me a believer.
6. New England Patriots (2-1) – Never mind the way the offense is playing because we all know that they will get it together. The story in New England this week was the defense stepping up and holding the Falcons’ offense to 10 points.
7. Indianapolis Colts (3-0) – Along with Drew Brees, Peyton Manning once again looks like he’s vying for the title of the best quarterback in the league.
8. Atlanta Falcons (2-1) – Tough loss to the Pats last week, but they will have an extra week to get their offense back on track as they enter into their bye week.
9. Philadelphia Eagles (2-1) – If Vick progresses well throughout the season and the rest of the team can get healthy, the Eagles may have TOO many weapons on the field for anybody in the league to stop.
10. Pittsburgh Steelers (1-2) – The ground game finally seems to have found it’s legs, but sloppy play on both sides of the ball have the champs sitting pretty in 3rd place in the AFC North….Who had that this preseason?
12. Chicago Bears (2-1) – The young gunslinger is slowly emerging out of Jay Cutler. More of Cutler to Hester should result in this team having a better chance to win every week.
13. Denver Broncos (3-0) – The #2 ranked offense and defense won’t get it’s first real test until they face the Patriots in week 5. Until then, let’s just take a moment to realize the greatness that is THE DENVER BRONCOS.
14. Green Bay Packers (2-1) – Nice way to bounce back from the loss at home to ‘Natti last week. Even if it was against the horrid St. Louis Sheep.
15. Dallas Cowboys (2-1) – The big stadium and all the big names can do nothing to get rid of the fact that the Cowboys realistically have no chance of going to the postseason this year with the way they are playing.
16. Cincinnati Bengals (2-1) – The Bengals could have started the season 3-0. Only if they could have stopped the mighty Broncos back in week 1.
17. San Francisco 49ers (2-1) – Losing Frank Gore for an extended amount of time could really hurt this young team’s chances the rest of the season.
18. Arizona Cardinals (1-2) – The defense look horrible at home. They will have some time to get it together though as they have a bye week next Sunday.
19. Jacksonville Jaguars (1-2) – With so many teams looking so bad, winning a game skyrockets the Jags from the bottom of the rankings to the top 20.
20. Houston Texans (1-2) – The defense is holding this team back from during great things. All that young talent needs to be surrounded by some veteran players to get them focused on actually tackling running backs.
21. Buffalo Bills (1-2) – I’ll give it two more weeks until T.O. turns his back on the entire organization in Buffalo.
22. Oakland Raiders (1-2) – The Raiders look to be headed in the wrong direction since that great game against the Chargers in week 1.
23. Seattle Seahawks (1-2) – Ugly jerseys were the cause for an ugly game on Sunday against DA BEARS.
24. Washington Redskins (1-2) – Losing to the Lions doesn’t bode well for anyone who is being paid by Mr. Snyder. Mainly Coach Zorn.
I don’t feel the need to discuss win-less teams. Especially when a team that had the best record in football a year ago, now looks like the junkyard gang. (No particular order):
25. Carolina Panthers
26. Miami Dolphins
27. Tennessee Titans
28. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
29. Kansas City Chiefs
30. Cleveland Browns
31. St. Louis Rams