Kobe Bryant and Lebron James garner so much attention because they play on dominate NBA teams. Both the Lakers and Cavaliers have well over 60 wins and they are the favorites to meet in the NBA Finals in June. Yeah, both of these guys are having killer seasons, Bryant is averaging 27 points, 5 rebounds and 5 assists per game while James puts up 28 points, 7 boards and 7 assists. They are amazing players and in any other season they would runaway with the MVP ballots, but this season belongs to Dwayne Wade. Here are five reasons why Wade should be the unanimous choice for MVP.
1) Stats: D-Wade has had the best statistical season of his career. He’s averaging 30.2 points a game, 7.5 assists, 5 rebounds and 2 steals per game. He leads the team in point, assists, steals and minutes(38) per game.
2) Durability: After missing 31 games last season, Wade has conditioned and trained his body to endure the rough NBA season. Wade has played every game but one this season thus far and we can’t forget his season started a little early, he helped the USA Men’s basketball team bring the gold back to the states back in August.
3) Wins: Last year, even with Shaq for most of the season, the Heat won 15 games. With 2 games left to play, Wade has led the Heat to 42 victories and they’re currently seeded 5th in the Eastern Conference.
4) Monster Games: D-Wade has scored 40+ points in a game 10 times and 50+ 3 times this season. He’s also scored in double figures in every game that he has played in the 08-09 season.
5) The Miami Heat Roster: Have you seen the Heat’s roster? Rookies Beasley and Chalmers are starters along with an under-sized Haslem and an over the hill Jermaine O’neal. If Wade doesn’t play, they lose. There haven’t been many, if any, games where he’s been able to sit in the fourth quarter, like Lebron and Kobe. Wade is the only All-Star on the squad and even if he plays well their is nearly a 50/50 chance that they’ll lose anyway due to the lack of star players on the roster.
It bothers me that MVP voters give the award to the best player on the best team in the league, that’s not how it should be awarded. Here’s a more accurate way to gauge which guy should be the MVP. Take the most outstanding players for the season, this year those players are Kobe, Lebron and Wade, and imagine that they are all out for the season. Which team would win the least amount of games, the Lakers, Cavaliers or the Heat? My point exactly, that’s why Dwayne Wade is the MVP.